As part of Polaroid’s ‘The Movement‘ campaign, Canadian band Tokyo Police Club has been hard at work recording 10 cover songs in 10 days. They’ve also been documenting the late night sessions using Polaroid instant photography and saving them in a gallery for each track.
The project began at midnight August 23 when the band entered Red Bull Studios in LA to rehearse and record the first track ‘South Side‘, a song first made famous in 2001 by Moby and Gwen Stefani. The finished track was uploaded to Soundcloud and then premiered on EntertainmentWeekly.com the next afternoon at 1 pm PST.
The band has carried on that same routine over the next 10 days, finishing up last Saturday afternoon with the release of a cover of Miley Cyrus’ Party in the U.S.A.’ The guys even managed a few shoutouts to Canadian provinces as the song winds down.
A track was chosen for each year between 2001 and 2010 including Kelly Clarkson’s ‘Since U Been Gone‘, LCD Soundystem’s ‘All My Friends‘ and Queens of the Stone Age’s ‘Little Sister‘. Apparently plans are already in the works to package all 10 songs for release in the coming weeks. It’s certainly fun to hear Tokyo Police Club’s distinctive sound applied to this variety of covers.
Full Track List: check out all the songs on Tokyo Police Club’s Soundcloud page.
1. South Side (Featuring Morgan Kibby of M83) / Moby feat. Gwen Stefani (2001)
2. Sweetness (Featuring Michael Angelakos of Passion Pit) / Jimmy Eat World (2002)
3. Under Control / The Strokes (2003)
4. Since U Been Gone / Kelly Clarkson (2004)
5. Little Sister (Featuring Orianthi) / Queens of the Stone Age (2005)
6. Long Distance Call (Featuring Ray Suen of Mariachi El Bronx) / Phoenix (2006)
7. All My Friends8. Kim & Jessie (Featuring Jamie Jackson of Hot As Sun) / LCD Soundsystem (2007)
8. Kim & Jessie (Featuring Jamie Jackson of Hot As Sun) / M83 (2008)
9. Strictly Game / Harlem Shakes (2009)
10. Party In The U.S.A. / Miley Cyrus (2010)